Friday, June 26, 2009

Zip, Zip, Zippo!

"The Newest Gift for Modern Mothers" - I guess they mean the lady we saw in that Joe De Mers illustration on Tuesday.


I love these ads... everyone studiously lighting up with their shiny new Zippo lighters.


Both of these ads from the middle of 1957 were illustrated by "P.W."


I'm stumped by who that might be. But if you think you might know, please drop me a line.


As I wrote in a previous post, I love my Zippo. I quit smoking five years ago... but I still enjoy carrying my Zippo - especially when I go on my annual summer fishing trip up north.


There's just something really satisfying about the substantial weight of a Zippo... the metallic *schlik* of the lid flipping open, the smell of lighter fluid and the crunchy resistance of the flint against that little sparking wheel...


No wonder all these people look so content.

Seriously, if you've never used a Zippo, you have no idea what a pleasant little ritual it provides in the act of fire-making.


Oh, and one last thing: this whole "lighting-each-other's-cigarette" thing may look very romantic. But believe me...


Its a good way to get the tip of your nose burned.


Voice of experience.

* My "Smoking!" Flickr set.

No comments:

Post a Comment